Out-of-town coverage for children

In situations where your child is expected to be out of the service area, we want to be sure you know the options for accessing health care services.

If your dependent child is traveling for less than 90 consecutive days in the coming year, or is enrolling in college as full-time student, he or she may continue on your health insurance policy. Dependents can stay on your policy until they turn 26 if any of these three instances apply to them:

  1. Maintain their primary residence or work in our service area, or
  2. Be a full-time student at an accredited institution, or
  3. Have coverage provided under a medical support order.

Basic care

Benefits outside of urgent care and emergency services are available only in Sharp Health Plan’s service area and when approved by your primary care physician (PCP).


MinuteClinic® is the walk-in medical clinic located inside select CVS Pharmacy® stores throughout the U.S.


Prescription benefits

Check with your Pharmacy Benefit Manager, OptumRx to see what’s covered.


Sharp Nurse Connection

Nurses are ready to help parents with health-related questions. Call 1-855-995-5004, 5 pm – 8 am, Monday to Friday, or 24 hours on weekends.


Emergency Travel Services

When faced with medical emergency while traveling 100 miles or more away from home or in another country, we can connect you to doctors, hospitals, pharmacies, and other services.

To get out-of-area emergency care through Assist America®:

  • Call the Assist America hotline: 1-800-872-1414
  • Say you’re a Sharp Health Plan member and use the Sharp reference number: 01-AA-SHP-09073


Supplemental insurance

For college-bound dependents who will be going to school outside the service area, we encourage parents to investigate what the college offers in terms of free or low-cost health services. Parents may want to consider purchasing supplemental health insurance to provide additional coverage for non-emergency or urgent services while dependents are away from home.